Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Turning Point

Assalamualaikum and a very good day.

I have been quiet for far too long. TOO LONG.

So, just out of a sudden, I feel like starting my blog again. Just to share what have I been doing for the past one year. Or better yet, for the past two years.

I was a teacher at an international school in Penang, Malaysia. Work was good although very hectic. Tonnes and tonnes of paperwork. It was like I lived for the purpose of serving the school. I loved teaching, and I still do. But working as a teacher made me realize all the sacrifices our teachers made so that we could become someone.

My passion for teaching was shaken when I realized that I didn't have any savings. Every month, my pay was used to pay bills. House rent, phone bill, credit card, loan installments. Other expenses went to food, fuel, and highway tolls. I started to ask myself, "Do I teach to earn, or to satisfy my passion for teaching?". It was then that I realized, I taught to earn. Of course! Passion keeps you going, keeps you motivated. If you doubt your passion, then it was never your passion!

Is teaching my passion?
NO.
So what is my passion?
I just love helping people. It was through teaching, I get to help people and get paid. If you're good at something, never do it for free. Ha ha. and yeah, I was good at teaching. Just not so much on the paper work.

So, I began to look for other ways of making some extra cash on the side. I was introduced to an investment program by a college friend, Mr. S, and it was good money and the program ended too quickly, I couldn't really feel the joy of investing into something.

On November 2012, I quit my job as a teacher and went into business. Well, actually, my friends and I had already set up a company a few months before I quit my job, so when I left, everything was ready. Licenses and connections and stuff.

I started off not as the owner of the company, but rather as a salesman. I took it as a learning curve. Somehow I need to overcome my fear of talking to strangers and try to sell my products. (Oh, I was in the Science industry, I supply laboratory equipment and consumables). I tried to hone my skills as a salesperson, but I guess it's not as easy as it looks. Without proper guidance and a system, I managed to just breathe with the sales I made. For 6 months I endured the grueling life of living on the edge of poverty (drama!), an opportunity of a lifetime came knocking at my door!

My friend, Mr. S, came and spoke to me about a new investment project. We talked about the project, the investment plan and the future of the company. Mr S came clean with me; he does not know much about the company yet, but he is going to do a check once he is able to. So, without thinking much, I took ALL my savings and invested with him. Yeah, you may say it is stupid, but this friend helped me make money last time without asking for anything back. Not a single cent! So, I trust his judgment and I knew I was taking a risk. A risk that has long due.......

1 year 5 months later......

From the mere MYR15k I invested into the program, I have collected more than MYR200k!

Well, ever since that teh tarik session with Mr S almost a year and a half ago, my life has changed for the better. Alhamdulillah!

Well, I guess I'm gonna stop here for now. So, we'll talk later, alright? :)

Assalamualaikum!

No comments: